Pregnant. Suffering from chills, shivering and sweating. What to do?

why do i get cills during pregnancy. this is my 2nd pregnancy and i had the same problem even during my 1st pregnancy. i even get a lot of sweat n shivering at the same tym.please let me know what can i do to stop this
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 minutes later
During pregnancy, there are surges of hormones - progesterone and estrogen which can cause hot flashes or chills during the pregnancy. This is commonly associated with sweating and shivering.
But if the chills and feeling of cold is persistent then your thyroid hormone levels need to be checked with a simple blood test as the thyroid hormone problem is often unmasked during pregnancy.
Also, you need to check for any symptoms of infection like fever, burning micturition, nausea, etc. In case there are any of these symptoms then do consult your gynecologist to rule out any kidney infections after proper tests.
Here are a few self-care measures that you can follow-
* Consume sufficient quantity of water -- at least 6-8 glasses.
* Maintain electrolyte levels in the body. You can ensure the balance by eating a combination of nutrient-rich foods.
* Keep yourself warm.
* Follow a healthy and nutritious diet.
* Exercise regularly (if your doctor allows you to).
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.