Pregnant. Suffer from blocked nose. Unable to sleep. Used Karval drops and otrivin drops. Safe?

Mar 2013
Sir, Iam in 9th month pregnancy. I am suffering with blocked nose. Unable to sleep. I used karval drops for relief. But no relief. Before pregnancy I used Otrivin drops. Is it safe to use in 9th month of pregnancy.
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 minutes later

Otrivin is assigned to Pregnancy Category C by FDA. This means that it should be used only when the benefit outweighs the risk.

For blocked nose, please try and use Saline nasal drops, these are normal saline drops and work equally well. You can also try steam inhalation with eucalyptus oil or Vicks in it atleast 4 - 5 times a day.
Take Vitamin C tablets for 15 days.

Put a few drops of eucalyptus oil on your handkerchief, pillow and bed sheet also.

Try and go for a walk, as it will relieve nasal blockage.

Take care, and be well.