Pregnant. Started vomiting and feeling sick. How to get relief?

I am currently 23 weeks 2 days pregnant and for the last 4 days I have been vomiting it started out occasionally and has gotten to the point today it seems all day with weakness I have a general over all sick feeling today.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

It is not normal for women at 23 weeks pregnancy to all of a sudden to start vomiting. It is not related to the nausea and vomiting that women experience in the first trimester.

Have there been any problems during your pregnancy:
1. High blood pressure?
2. Reflux symptoms?
3. Any recent illness otherwise or with anyone else?
4. Any medical problems?

Please answer and I will get right back to you!
Follow-up: Pregnant. Started vomiting and feeling sick. How to get relief? 17 minutes later
1. No BP normal 118/70
2. No
3. No
4. Took my husband to the VA for spinal injections and the next day I had this other than no
Thank you for the followup. In a pregnant patient with persistent vomiting the following should be considered:
1. Liver disease
2. Gallbladder disease
3. Pancreatic disease
4. Dehydration related to the vomiting

You need to have the following done:
1. IV fluid hydration
2. Labs to check for electrolyte disturbances
3. Labs to check for GI related disease: liver panel, labs related to gallbladder, and labs related to pancreas
4. It would also be good to check your blood counts and thyroid function

This is what I would recommend. Please contact your OB Provider! Good luck!!
Follow-up: Pregnant. Started vomiting and feeling sick. How to get relief? 49 minutes later
Thank You! I have been able to keep down some 7up and bread (toast minus butter) I do appreciate your experience and help I did contact my OB I did not want to jump the gun with it since, the previous days I have been able to keep few but, some things down including water.If you can kindly tell me how to summit my review you were great 10/10 I would use you again much appreciated
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 12 minutes later

I really appreciate your feedback. This is a great way to get questions answered when all you need is a little education and guidance. From my screens, I am not sure how you leave feedback, but I appreciate your positive experience.

Anytime you come to the site and ask a specialist question that is OB/GYN related, make sure that you start the question with..."this is for Dr. Raichle". This way the question will be directed straight to my inbox.

Thank you again and good luck!