Pregnant. Started spotting and passes clot after intercourse. Ultrasound normal and had spontanious abortion. What could be the cause?

Question
HI AM XXXXXXX,IMY LMP WAS 27 AUG.NOW AM 10 WEEKS OLD PREGNANT,WHEN I LL GO TO HOSPITAL I WILL HAVE SPOTTING BUT ON 3RD NOV MY HUSBAND AND I HAD INTERCOUSE THAT TIME SLIGHT SPOTTING OCCURED.THAT NIGHT I WENT TO URINATE I GOT A SMALL CLOT I GOT AFRIDE SO WE WENT TO DOC SHE SCANNED ME AND TOLD BABY IS PERFECTLY NORMAL ,MOVING ,HEART BEAT PRESENT COMPLETED 9 WEEKS.THAT NIGHT SHE PRESCRIBED LUPI HCG0000 IU HP AND INJ MEPROGEN FORTE 200MG ,I HAD THAT INJ AND CAME HOME THAT NIGHT I STARTED BLEEDING AND IT WAS CONTINUOS
AGAIN I WENT TO DOC NEXT MORNING SHE ADMITTED ME AND OBSERVED FOR ONE DAY THAT NIGHT I HAD SPONTANEOUS ABORTION WITH FULL PAIN.THE FULL TERM I WAS VERY NORMAL WITHOUT ANY PAIN GIDDINESS WHY IT HAPPENED PLEASE TELL ME IS IT BECAUSE OF INJ.
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX.

Thanks for writing.

It is probably not due to the injections.

This is because you had started spotting and passed a clot even before the injection was given. It means you were at risk of abortion and intercourse precipitated it.
You also have a history of previous abortion.

So the two things, injection and abortion should not be related.

So you need to get the proper cause of your repeated abortions evaluated.

Sending the abortion products for histopathology (tissue diagnosis) could help in knowing the cause also.

There are many reasons for first trimester(before 12 weeks) abortion.
It could be due to genetic defects, hormonal imbalance, infections, chronic diseases like diabetes and thyroid disorders.

These causes have to be ascertained and treated before you conceive to avoid the risk of abortion.

Also the next time you plan a pregnancy you should do it after a minimum of 3 months from now in order to give rest and time of recovery to your body. Meanwhile you should get yourself evaluated completely by a gynecologist to see for any hormonal imbalance like thyroid disorders, deranged sugar levels or any infections.
You can start taking folic acid tablets (vitamin) once you plan to conceive as it avoids many of the defects in the baby which lead to abortion.

The injection HCG and meprogen are hormonal injections.
They contain hormones which are known to support early pregnancy. They are given with the hope that if your body has low levels of these hormones which is making you land into threatened abortion, the levels would be corrected with external use of hormones.
However 100% efficacy of these hormones in preventing an abortion is not yet proved.

I hope I have answered your query.

take care.