Pregnant. Started periods with abdominal pain and found pinkish vaginal discharge. Miscarriage?

Hi Doctor

My name is XXXXXXX.
My wife's period is delayed by only 5 days and then she started bleeding; very different colour than she used to her during her periods. Her last period was on Nov 24 . In comparison to her normal periods, this time her 1st day, the bleeding was light, 2nd and 3rd day was little more than the 1st and then 4th, 5th and unusually 6th, she had spotting ( all 3 days). Now it is 7 th day, and she is finding pinkish mucus at the vagina but no blood. All these, when she bled, the colour was pink to reddish. Usually the colour during her periods is muddy brown. She never missed her period and they are regular with 28 days cycle. The last time she missed, she was pregnant. Of course, we are trying for the 2nd pregnancy.

I hope this is not miscarriage. On the 18th day, she started getting severe abdominal pain and fever, nausea and then a day after the symptoms subsided, but even now she has very mild cramping in the abdominal region, but suddenly she will not have for few minutes. She suddenly feels fatigued and even fever is little above the normal.

Can you please suggest us?

Posted Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 minutes later
the only way its possible to tell whether she had a miscarriage is by testing her urine for pregnancy.I suggest you get a home pregnancy test and do it.In case she tests positive then chnaces are she had a spontaneous abortion.There is nothing to worry about since that happens commonly to many women.Most dont even know that they are pregnant. In case she tests positive i suggest she also get a ultrasound after 2 weeks just to make sure there are no remnants of the pregnancy inside the uterus.
If the urine test is negative,then dont worry,its just a delayed period.
Fever is usually a sign of infection.If it recurs then suggest see undergo a pelvic examination to rule out PID,vaginal infections etc.Some blood tests also have to be done in such a case.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Started periods with abdominal pain and found pinkish vaginal discharge. Miscarriage? 3 minutes later
Thank Doctor, her urine pregnancy test is negative. In fact, we did it thrice.
The only reason, why we perturbed is the change in the color of blood, rather than the delay in the period. So, we can still try for pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 minutes later
Dont worry about the colour of the blood.It changes according to bodily secretions.
I was worried about the delayed period,but if the test is negative then she wasnt pregnant.Its just a delayed cycle. You can try for pregnancy as before.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Started periods with abdominal pain and found pinkish vaginal discharge. Miscarriage? 1 minute later
Thank you very much Doctor.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 5 minutes later
Happy to help.