Pregnant. Started getting constant whooshing sound in ear. What's going on?

ENT Specialist
I have A constant whooshing sound in my left ear. I am 19 weeks pregnant. It is non stop and I can hear it more when surroundings are quiet. It seems to match up with my heart rate. I dont have any ear trauma and it started out of no where. It has been a problem for about 2 weeks now.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

Noise in the ear also termed as tinnitus happens due to various reasons such as Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear) block, hormonal changes in the body following pregnancy, early otosclerosis, etc.

My suggestion to you is to consult a good ENT Specialist for a complete examination and thorough evaluation. Also, you will require audiological investigations such as tympanometry and pure tone audiometry to assess the pressure changes in the middle ear and the neurological status.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon