Pregnant. Started feeling nausea. Any safe medication?

Mar 2016

My wife is 6 weeks pegnant and she feels nauseating all the time. I want to ask is there any drug that could alleviate her condition and how safe they are for pregnancy?
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 48 minutes later

Morning sickness or feeling of nausea is quite common and normal phenomena in early week of pregnancy, particularly in first trimester. Sometimes it can extend up to 16 weeks.

Above prescribed medications are quite good and she should continue all this. To alleviate nausea, she should take 2 Doxinate tab at bed time. If she needs there after, she can take additional one tab. Another thing, she should avoid bitter/ bad smell food stuffs and eat dry foods like puffed rice when she feels nausea.

In first trimester, she should take protein XXXXXXX diet, eat fresh vegetables, take adequate rest, avoid heavy work/ long journey/ uneven surface and do periodic check up with ultrasound scan.

Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Pregnant. Started feeling nausea. Any safe medication? 8 hours later
Thanks for replying Dr. Soumen.

I want to ask how safe is doxinate for pregnancy? Are there any side effects? We just started doxinate day before yesterday. Prior to that we were relying on other alternative like lime juice, crackers, candies etc.

Also since she vomates quite often these days do you recommend any vitamin supplements that could be taken?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 22 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Nausea & mild vomiting (morning sickness) are quite common in early week of pregnancy. Here, you have nothing to worry until she vomits severely with presence of dehydration.

Doxinate is very much safe and drug of choice to eliminate morning sickness. I have already mentioned how to take above medication. So, she continues this and drinks more fluid/ water/ juice to keep hydrated. Dry food stuffs are also helpful.

Doxinate contains pyridoxine (vitamin B6). Folic acid supplement (like gestafol) is essential in first trimester for organogenesis of the growing fetus. In this time period, unnecessary medication should be avoided.

She should take healthy balanced diet (preferably cooked food) XXXXXXX in proteins along with fresh vegetables & fruits. She needs extra 350 Kcal/ day than usual calorie throughout the pregnancy period.

Hope, this helps. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & take care of her.

Dr Soumen