Pregnant. Started bleeding. Prescribed susten and hcg injection. Miscarriage?

Hi Doctor,

I am 9 weeks pregnant and i started bleeding during the 8th week. I went for an ultrasound scan and found that the feotus heart beat is present. My doctor has given me susten200 injection and hcg injection. I want to know the reason for bleeding since it is not a miscarriage.
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 6 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Can you tell me the rate of the fetal heart rate?

Thank you.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Started bleeding. Prescribed susten and hcg injection. Miscarriage? 1 hour later
Hello Doctor,

I do not know the rate of fetal heart rate. But I remember my doctor saying that the feotus has normal heart rate. And it has growth of 7-8 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 6 hours later
Hello, I am sorry for the delay.

First of all, it is extremely common to have bleeding in the first trimester of pregnancy. In most cases we attribute this to 'implantation' of the fetus into the uterine wall. This is very common around 4-6 weeks, but commonly occurs much later as well. In addition, it is also common to actually SEE this bleeding and we refer to it as a 'subchorionic hemorrhage'. At your gestational age, this is what you are experiencing and it is quite normal. Reasons to maintain hope include:

1. The amount of bleeding is so small that they could not see it on the ultrasound
2. The fetal heart rate was normal
3. The interval growth of the fetus was normal (it measured 8 weeks when you should have been 8 weeks)

So, based on what you are telling me, not only did you get good care, but you should feel reassured that everything is still going well.