Pregnant. Smoked ice for first time. Baby will be fine?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
I smoked ice for the frist and last time then I found out today I'm 2 months pregnet will it be in my baby when it's born please so will it show up or not will I be and the baby be fine
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

It is well known that ice or meth exposure before birth leads to poor fetal growth, abnormal brain developments, birth defects, visual deficits and poor physiological functioning. However, this information is based on research on women who were dependent on meth. In addition to the effect of the drug, poor nutrition and poor antenatal care, which are common in drug dependent women, would also have contributed to the harm to the foetus.

However, in your case, the exposure to meth was for a single time only. So it is difficult to say whether there will be any lasting damage or not. For obvious reasons, effect of single prenatal exposure to meth in humans cannot be experimentally studied but there have been some animal experiments. It has been found that when pregnant mice were given a single dose of meth, the newborn mice were found to have poor motor coordination. Simply explained, the newborn mice were clumsy in making movements. However, no significant birth defects were found. To what extent this information can be extrapolated to humans, is difficult to say.

Based on this, I can say that most probably your baby will not have any lasting damage due to this single exposure to meth, provided you are careful during rest of the pregnancy. Even if there is any damage, it is unlikely to significantly impairing. So please do not worry. Stay healthy and happy. Go for regular antenatal check ups to the doctor. Eat and drink well. I am sure everything will turn out fine.

Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications.

Best wishes for you and your baby,

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry