Pregnant. Scan showed small bpd and small hc measurement. Concerned

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hello. My baby has a small bpd and small hc measurement and i have been extremely worried about it. It is below the third percentile and measuring 149mm at 20 weeks. Is this something congenital or is it something i need to be concerned about. My ob doesnt seem to have clear answers.
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 28 minutes later

There is possibility of microcephaly as your baby's HC is less than 3rd percentile or more than 2 SD below the appropriate mean.
Below 3 SD can be taken as microcephaly, where as below 2SD is at the lower end of normal levels.
This can occur due to factors like:
Congenitally.
Craniosynostosis, means premature fusion of cranial joints.
Chromosomal abnormalities like down syndrome.
Cerebral anoxia.
Infections, exposure to drugs etc.
Except in case of craniosynostosis, microcephaly due to other causes is not having any particular treatment.
So you discuss these possibilities with your doctor and decide further action according to her advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Scan showed small bpd and small hc measurement. Concerned 28 minutes later
Hi thanks for your answer. Could it be possible that the baby may grow later and have done growth spurts. Two weeks ago it was ninth percentile and now below third all of a sudden. I am low risk for down syndrome

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
The HC is corresponding to around 18 weeks 3 days, and as it is between 2SD and 3SD of mean you can wait for two more weeks.
Possibly by that time the parameters may reach the normal levels.
But even after that there is no growth better to think of termination as microcephalic babies can have many problems after birth.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.