Pregnant. Scan showed grade II placenta previa and grade I maturity. What are the risk?

Question
I'm 16 week pregnant. All scan report are normal till date but only one report i got yesterday where it's mentioned that -----
Placenta: is in the lower uterine segment along the anterior wall with lower edge of placenta seen approaching the XXXXXXX os but not covering it.
Grade II Placenta previa ( Minor)
Grade I maturity.

I dont know about this ..can you please inform me if there is any risk for this condition? or any specific restriction that i have to maintain. can it create any prob in future for this child birth?
Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 16 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing in.
Your ultrasound report suggest placenta previa grade 1- minor.

Placenta previa is just low lying placenta as against, normally placenta lies in fundus.

But no need to worry, as most of placenta previa resolve on their by the time baby is born. Grades I and II (minor) may be able to deliver vaginally; Grades III and IV (major) will require Caesarean section by the most experienced obstetrician and anaesthetist on duty.

In cases of asymptomatic suspected minor praevia, follow-up imaging can be left until 36 weeks.

You need to look for any painless bleeding occurring vaginally. If so, consult doctor urgently. Keep it in mind that per vaginal examination is not done in this case as it can cause bleeding from placenta.
Do not worry as of now. Get follow up ultrasound done after your consultation with doctor.
I hope I have answered your query. Revert back in case you need further clarification.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Scan showed grade II placenta previa and grade I maturity. What are the risk? 3 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

Thank you for the reply. Actually i just wanted to know that any specific restriction that i have to maintain. can it create any prob in future for this child birth?

And also i'm suffering with acute Sneezing but no cold. So can it be harmful in this case? I'm taking 'alday' tablet as sos, not regularly.

Please suggest.

Thanks and Regards,

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 8 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

There is no need to take extra care for placenta previa minor. Only look for bleeding per vagina even if it is painless.

It will not be problematic for child as well, only take follow up ultrasound.

Alday tablet is perfectly fine. Have steam inhalation as well, as it helps.

I hope this information clears your doubts.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Scan showed grade II placenta previa and grade I maturity. What are the risk? 7 minutes later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

Thank you very much for your valuable suggestions.

As of now, no bleeding has taken place through vagina, touch wood. Also this problem (placenta previa) was not detected in the scans done in the first 4 months, only in the last scan it has been detected. So, I was a bit worried.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 14 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thats perfectly fine. You may have natural vaginal delivery also. Do not worry. Take care.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.