Pregnant. Report showed 24 cm of amniotic fluid index. What could be the cause? How to control?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016
Excellent

OBGYN
Question
I am pregnant, running 9th month. Yesterday i took scan, there in the report it is Aminotic Fluid index is 24 cm which is high suggested by my consultant. My belly is little big compared to others. What is the reason for high fluid and how can i control it. is it anything to worry for baby or for myself.
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 27 hours later
Brief Answer: ATTACH USG SCAN & OTHER BLOOD REPORTS. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Normal AFI (Amniotic Fluid Index) is 8-18 cm. Your AFI is 24 cm which is quite high than normal level and it is more suggestive of POLYHYDRAMNIOS. It is seen in 1% of pregnancies. Underlying cause could be Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM), fetal birth defect like esophageal or duodenal atresia, facial cleft, Renal disorder, Down syndrome, multiple pregnancy, Intrauterine infection (like TORCH), Rh incompatibility etc. Kindly, upload or attach ultrasound scan and other blood reports to assist you better and give proper guideline. I will discuss in details on follow-up section after viewing all reports. Waiting for your response. Do the things at the earliest. Regards, Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Pregnant. Report showed 24 cm of amniotic fluid index. What could be the cause? How to control? 21 hours later
thanks for the revert. What are all the reason for this high fluid index.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: ATTACH ALL REPORTS. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for response. I have already mentioned the causes of high amniotic fluid index (AFI). Just go through my earlier text in details. Here, we need to rule out POLYHYDRAMNIOS. Kindly, upload last ultrasound scan and other blood reports to assist you better and give proper guideline. Regards, Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Pregnant. Report showed 24 cm of amniotic fluid index. What could be the cause? How to control? 17 hours later
Hello doctor, Have uploaded two reports which have reasantly taken. Scan and sugar report. Kindly reveiw and advise.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for attaching reports. I have reviewed both reports and it indicates mostly mild POLYHYDRAMNIOS as AFI is 24. Your blood glucose level is also within normal limit. Gestational Diabetes (GDM) is possibly ruled out and if your previous anomaly scan reports was normal, then you do not have to worry much. You are near term and amniotic fluid volume is always highest physiologically at this stage. Mild Polyhydramnios (or asymptomatic) is treated conservatively with periodic monitoring and no major intervention is generally taken to reduce volume. COMPLICATION: It is mostly associated with preterm labor. However, possibility is quite low in your case as you are near term. Other maternal complications are premature rupture of the membranes (PROM), abruptio placenta, malpresentation, postpartum haemorrhage and cord prolapse. MODE OF DELIVERY: There is a higher incidence of Caesarean section in such case. As your last delivery was by Caesarean, it will be also elective C-section as per your doctor's recommendation to reduce associated complication. In the mean time, you would limit salt and water intake. Take adequate bed rest in the left lateral position and do periodic check up to your doctor for complete assessment of pregnancy & well being of the baby. Hope, I have guided you properly. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion. All the best and good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Pregnant. Report showed 24 cm of amniotic fluid index. What could be the cause? How to control? 1 hour later
Thanks for the all your detailed explaination doctor. Is there any chance for the baby to affect by this? What is the reason for this high fluid otherwise? Doctor has fixed my ciserian date as Nov 29th 2013, since the first was ciserian. because of this high fluid, can the ciserian date to be preponed for safety precaution. i am still going to office, i planned to go to work till 22nd Nov, should i stop working and to take rest because of this. Kindly advise.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 8 hours later
Brief Answer: HELLO Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. Followings are my comments: 1) If your previous anomaly scan report and TRIPLE or QUADRUPLE test was within normal limit, then you have nothing to worry about harmful effect of growing baby. In this case, mild polyhydramnios is quite physiological. 2) High Amniotic Fluid volume may be due to physiological if underlying causes are not found. Near term (around 36 to 38 weeks) fluid volume is highest and mostly formed by fetal urine. Pulmonary fluid and filtered through placenta can increase fluid volume to some extent. 3) As per planned C-section date (29th Nov), it is the ideal time. We recommend 38th week gestational age (two weeks before actual delivery date) for highest fetal maturity to conduct elective C-section. If you are asymptomatic with mild Polyhydramnios, then there is no need to prepone your planned C-section date. Just do periodic check up for complete assessment. 4) You need adequate bed rest. You can go for work 1-2 weeks XXXXXXX if you can handle your daily activity. Your regular journey and working place will be more comfortable. Otherwise, you need to stop working until you deliver your baby and thereafter. Hope, above information will be more helpful. Wish your good health. Take care. Regards, Dr Soumen