Pregnant. Prescribed gyburide for diabetes. Does this have any effect on baby?

Aug 2012

I'm 33 weeks pregnant and last week my Dr. put me on gyburide 2.5 because of my diabetes blood sugars running 98 fasting in the morning and around 155 after lunch and dinner. I haven't taken the medicine because I scared of the side effects. Are my FSBS high enough to be on meds? I was dx at 28 weeks at this late in my pregnancy what effects could my sugar have on my baby?
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 1 hour later
Hi Dear.

Are you from any Europian country? The reason behind me asking you this is because only a very few doctors from Europe recommend oral Sulphonylurea tablet for reducing sugar in a pregnant lady. Best is to be on insulin and 98 is not a high fasting sugar for a GDM (gestational diabetes) lady to be on any medication yet. If your fasting sugar crosses 105 then you strictly need to be on insulin at bedtime.
Coming to your post meal sugar, it is high for you and this leads to large size baby and other complications of GDM. This should be targeted below 130 mg/dl and for this you will need to either cut down your food quantity by 20 % in each meal or to start on ultra short acting insulin before each major meal- basically three times a day. Please go back to your doctor and talk about this as post meal sugars must be strictly under control henceforth.
Insulin does not have any side effect on you or your baby when taken in appropriate doses all through the pregnancy. The oral tablet is not 100% proven safe for pregnancy.
I hope you got the answer. Please get back for any further query. Take care.