Pregnant. Prescribed ecosprin for high blood pressure. Is this safe during pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
My wife is five months pregnant, her pressure today when checked was on higher side 140/90 doctor prescribed ecosprin 75 to be consumed once daily in afternoon...well is ecosprin 75 good for pregnant ladies
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 11 minutes later
Ecosprin contains aspirin, which belongs to category C drug in pregnancy according to FDA category.
Means animal studies showed some adverse effects on the fetus but human studies are lacking.
So this drug can be used when benefits over weigh the risks.
As your wife is in early gestational age, she may use the tablets till the fetus attains maturity like up to 28 to 30 weeks as recommended by your doctor.
After that she may discontinue the drug after consulting your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Prescribed ecosprin for high blood pressure. Is this safe during pregnancy? 10 minutes later
Dear Dr., Thanks for your reply.

Our doctor prescribed this as her pressure was on the higher side and also please be informed that my wife came down to India to be with her parents for few days and will be travelling back along with me on 6hrs flight on 3 April to be with me at my work place. Now being with her parents she did have various food which surely had high salt content in it. What I would like know is that is it necessary for her to consume ecosprin 75 as her pressure levels are 140/90 or can she omit it by controlling her diet...

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 7 minutes later

Actually 140/90 is the borderline blood pressure, above which can be termed as hypertension.
Salt restriction may have some impact but it may not completely control the blood pressure.
So as there are three days remaining for your journey, you observe her blood pressure twice a day in these days.
If the blood pressure comes to normal level with salt restriction she can continue the pregnancy with regular antenatal checkups or if the blood pressure remains high better to start the medicine.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.