Pregnant. Prescribed calcium tablets. Feel nauseated. Can I substitute iron tablets with natural food?

Mar 2016

Hi. I'm 17 weeks pregnant. My Doctor has prescribes calcium tablets (1000mg) and iron tablets for me. I'm not able to cope with the iron tablets since i feel nauseated. I vomit the food i had at times as well.
My question is this: Is it absolutely necessary to take iron supplements during pregnancy? Cant they be substituted with natural food? food like spinach, or chicken, dates, raisin, dried apricots etc.
Why do I have to take calcium tablets of 500 mg twice daily? Won't 500 a day be sufficient?
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing us.

In pregnancy period, daily iron requirement is 35 mg. Yes, iron supplements are absolutely required during pregnancy. You need to take one iron tab or capsule from 16th week onwards to combat anemia & related complication and body demand.

If you feel nauseated after taking iron tab or capsule, then you can take those with some food at bed time. Otherwise you can take iron syrup (DEXORANGE or R.B TONE) after consultation with your obstetrician.

In addition, you can take iron XXXXXXX food stuffs also. These include red meat, egg yolk, green vegetables, dry fruit (like prunes, raisins), iron enriched cereals, XXXXXXX or chicken giblets, beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans, liver etc.

In pregnancy, daily calcium requirement is 1000 mg. Therefore, you need to take calcium tab twice daily to combat calcium deficiency & related complications. You can additionally take calcium XXXXXXX food stuffs or DHA supplements for better growth & development of the growing baby.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Take care yourself & enjoy your pregnancy.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Pregnant. Prescribed calcium tablets. Feel nauseated. Can I substitute iron tablets with natural food? 6 minutes later
Thank you Dr Soumen!!! You have answered my query perfectly well :)
Answered by Dr. S Patra 4 minutes later

Thanks for your response.

You are most welcome in our XXXXXXX platform. You can directly ask any future query by above mentioned link.

If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish your good health and successful pregnancy.

Dr Soumen