Pregnant. Planning for abortion. Is there any medication or natural remedy for abortion?

Question
Hi Doc, I'm really very concerned about my aunt who is 6 weeks pregnant and who doesn't want the baby. She lives in Bangladesh where doctors are asking her to abort. Is there any option without aborting instead doing something by medication or natural remedies?. Doctors there want to abort tommorow I really need a response quick to help her. Thanks regards.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 10 days later
Hi XXXXXXX,

I want to make things clearer to you here.

Abortion is of two types - Medical and surgical. Medical abortion is done with only medications. Surgical abortion is done through surgical procedures.

Your aunt is 6 weeks pregnant and does not wish to continue the pregnancy. The doctors who are asking her to abort may be asking for a medical abortion. Please clarify with the doctors as to what type of abortion your aunt is supposed to undergo. If it is a medical method, she can very well go ahead with it. There is no harm in it.

There are no natural remedies or ways by means of which an abortion can be done.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have more doubts.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Planning for abortion. Is there any medication or natural remedy for abortion? 29 hours later
Hi Doc,
My aunt has already done the abortion. It was not done my any medication hopefully as far as I know. They call it MR here in Bangladesh. She described me by saying it was done by some on medium sized needle less siringe which was entered into her vaginal canal and pumped out the blood. The doctor even said don't do MR again in your life, which I've a doubt about. Is this harmful for her in anyways? Looking for your answer doctor. Thanks

Ragards.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing back.

MR is nothing but Menstrual Regulation. It is a type of surgical abortion.

There is no absolute contraindication for a repeat MR in your aunt's life. However, the doctor has said this in view of expected complications like uterine adhesions and probable infertility in future. It is better to be safe than repent later.

I would suggest your aunt to use a contraceptive, which is comfortable with, like oral contraceptive pills to prevent pregnancy in near future.

I hope this clarifies.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Planning for abortion. Is there any medication or natural remedy for abortion? 11 hours later
Thank you doctor,
It was very helpful.

Regards.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 36 hours later
Thank you too.

Please close the discussion and write a review, if time permits.

Take care!