Pregnant. Pelvis scan showed no yolk sac. Should I be worried?

Dec 2012

My LMP was 25th Feb 2013 and my pregnancy card test was positive on 4th April. Today 25th May 2013 I did a transabdominal and transnational use scan of pelvis and the impression shows gestational sac corresponding to 6w 6d without yolk sac/fatal pole. I am worried by seeing this. Please let me know what it is actually, whether am conceived or not?
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

The yolk sac is the first thing to become visible inside the gestational sac on a transvaginal ultrasound, appearing at an average of 5.5 to 6 weeks' gestational age.
When an ultrasound shows no yolk sac, the reason may be miscarriage but it could also be that the pregnancy is still early.
Because the yolk sac first becomes visible around 5.5 weeks of
gestation, seeing no yolk sac on an ultrasound could simply mean that the pregnancy is not yet 5.5 weeks along and errors in remembering the last menstrual period or irregular cycles can affect
calculations of how far along a pregnancy is at the time of an ultrasound.
At this point I will recommend that you get another ultrasound after 1-2 weeks when pregnancy must have developed further. You should not get too worried and just stay calm and it will be more helpful if you can consult with a gynobs.

Hope this helps

Dr. Nsah