Pregnant. Noticed spotting. Will this cause any complication?

I am 16 weeks pregnant and seeing some light blood occasionally during the week. It is a minimal amount and I see once in a day and maybe after 3 days after. Why?
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 35 minutes later

There are several reasons for occasional spotting in pregnancy.
1.Implantation bleeding, as the fertilized egg attaches itself to the uterine wall- seen usually around 9 days after ovulation.
2.Infections of the vagina as the immunity is lowered during pregnancy
3.Polyps of the cervix or inflamed cervix that may cause spotting or bleeding after intercourse
4. Inadequate progesterone supply as the placenta takes over from the corpus luteum, usually around 12-14 weeks of pregnancy
5.Low-lying placenta may cause spotting with intercourse
6.Ectopic or molar pregnancy

As we exclude these causes one by one, it seems most likely from the clinical picture that you need to exclude any local cause or progesterone deficiency that sometimes presents at this stage. If you do not have spotting after avoiding intercourse ( which you should be doing now), you may exclude local and placental causes.

I would suggest you to pay a visit to your obstetrician for an evaluation of the state of your pregnancy and if needed get hormonal supplementation or other needed advice. Take bed rest, avoid stress and intercourse.

I hope I have clarified your doubts. If you have any further queries, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.