Pregnant. Noticed purple veins on the inside of lip. Should I be worried?

I am 19 weeks pregnant, and I have really noticable purple veins on the inside of my bottom lip. May I ask what that is & if I should be worried?
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 57 minutes later
The appearance of purple veins on the inside of the lip is a normal physiological variation. Such minor venous dilatation could be related to a minor venous congestion in the area due to some local causes like allergy.
Please do not worry and watch it for any pulsations or ulceration or pain in which case a direct examination is necessary for proper diagnosis.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Noticed purple veins on the inside of lip. Should I be worried? 1 hour later
I was kind of worried about that because I will be 20 weeks pregnant Thursday & my HCG in my blood & urine is still not showing up. But, was confirmed through ultrasound that I am indeed 20 weeks pregnant. What would cause this? Again, I am clueless & it seems that my doctor has no answers.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
HCG levels keep on increasing till 14 weeks of pregnancy after which they gradually start declining. If the ultrasound scan report is suggestive of a healthy 19 weeks pregnancy, then there is nothing to worry.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.