Pregnant. Noticed brownish discharge during bowel movement. Is there any complication?

im pregnant and everytime i poop and wipe theres brown in the front?
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 2 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

I would like to ask you a few more things to give you the possibilities.

1. How did you notice the brown discoloration in the front? Was it by staining of the skin, undergarments or you applied a pad?

2. Do you have any vaginal discharge? If yes then is it foul smelling?

3. Do you wash the perianal area after using the toilet or wipe it? If you did, then was it from back to front or front to back ?

4. Do you have any lower abdominal pain?

5. How many months pregnant you are and have you got any ultrasound done in this pregnancy?

Kindly revert back with the answers.

Waiting for your reply.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Noticed brownish discharge during bowel movement. Is there any complication? 37 minutes later
1.when I wipe I see it but is home after I'm done wiping. I'm 8 weeks pregnant. No abdominal pain. And it's always brown the same color as the poop and I have to push a little for the poop. Yes I did have an ultra sound
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 8 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for the reply.

There can be two possibilities for the brown staining.

First, that while passing stool if you do not clean the area properly and do it back to front then staining of front (vaginal) area can occur with stools.

Second possibility is that it might be coming out from your vagina itself. To know exactly, you need to apply a pad. If the pad is constantly stained in the front then it is probably from the vagina. On the pad you would also get to know whether its the stool only which is coming through your vagina or there is some brown stained discharge.
If you feel its the stool itself, then it can occur from a rectovaginal fistula (connection between vagina and rectum).
I want to know if you have any previous history of vaginal surgeries or complicated deliveries as they predispose to these fistulas.

If you feel its just a brown discharge, then you need to rule out vaginal examinations by visiting a gynecologist for an XXXXXXX examination. Also if its stool only which is coming through your vagina, then proper evaluation and examination is very important else it can lead to infections.

Coming to your problem of straining (pushing) in stools, you should take care of it. This is because straining increases your intra abdominal pressure which can harm your pregnancy by increasing chances of miscarriage. Besides complication like fissures and piles can develop in chronic constipation which can lead anal bleeding. So you should take a proper diet with plenty of fluids. Consume a lot of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
Also its better to clean you perianal area from front to back. This is the right way to clean to avoid infections.

I hope i have answered your query.