Pregnant. No hypertension or diabetes. Found high BP level. Is there any risk?

I am 33 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. I have no prior history of hypertension or diabetes and also no such incidence during my 1st pregnancy. My regular BP at my OBG's office has been measured as 120/80 ever since my 1st prenatal visit. About 3 weeks back my BP came out as 150/80 and has been hovering between 120/70 to 150/80 since then (mostly 140/70 or 150/80). My latest CUE reports are attached.
My question is what could have caused the Systolic reading to rise? Is this a potential risk in any way? Apart from avoiding table salt, what other measures can I take to maintain a normal level?
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rishma Lakhani 4 hours later

The rise in BP seen is due to pregnancy itself, and popularly known as Pregnancy Induced Hypertension-PIH. There are many causes proposed for such rise in BP. Most commonly accepted one is due to placental anatomical abnormality, it is not exactly abnormality. It might be due to developmental anomaly, other causes proposed are immunological, nutritional etc. One of the reason in your case can be increasing maternal age.

This is a common condition, seen in about 7-10% of pregnancies and mostly seen towards the end of pregnancy as is in your case.

The CUE report is absolutely normal, there is no proteinuria which is a good sign.
Salt restriction can be done. But is of little help in pregnancy induced hypertension. Other things you need to take care are:
-Left lateral position while sleeping
-Regular urine check up for proteinuria
-Daily fetal movement count-minimum has to be 10-12/day
-Look for symptoms like-headache, blackouts, decreased urine output, dizziness, nausea/vomiting, visual disturbances, pain in epigastric region. If you have any of the symptoms or decreased fetal movements you need to report to the hospital immediately.

Get a doppler scan done to know the blood flow to the baby is fine or not. Get back with the report and take care of the things I have told you.

Don't worry. Everything would be fine, Take care.

Dr. Rishma