Pregnant. No fetal pole and poor gestational sac growth seen in x-ray. Precaution to be taken?

Hi Doctor
My wife is 8 weeks pregnant and had Ultrasound scan that doesn't show up foetal node. Doctor asked to come back after 2 weeks. Report shows Evidence of intrauterine gestational sac and measusres 14*6 mm, sac contours are regular and no evidence of foetal node. Please advise what precautions need to be taken for next 2 weeks.
Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 hours later
A gestational sac of size 14.6MM corresponds to almost 5 weeks and 2 days. Since your wife is pregnant for 8 weeks, the growth of the sac is less as compared to the period of gestation.
The non visualization of a fetal node further is suggestive of a non viable pregnancy. A scan after two weeks will help in confirmation if there is no further growth in the sac size and the fetal node is not visualized till then.
You need to avoid doing any heavy work, cough, constipation, driving and intercourse for the next two weeks. Do consult your gynecologist for a repeat scan in case there is any spotting.
Taking a rest and a light easy to digest food will be helpful. You can continue taking folic acid supplements and the vaginal progesterone tablet.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Pregnant. No fetal pole and poor gestational sac growth seen in x-ray. Precaution to be taken? 36 hours later
Thanks for the information doctor. Today there is slight spotting for my wife. We are afraid and immediately consultant family doctor. Last time we went to different doctor. Family doctor suggested for one more scan today. Had scan, Foetus is evidenced, Heart beat is evidence for the baby as per doctor. As per scan report, it shows my wife is 6 weeks and 5 days pregnant instead of 8 weeks as per earlier. How much should be the heart beat for both mother and baby. Please advice.

Doctor has prescripted for one injection for next 4 weeks (weekly once) for the good growth of the baby.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Now that a fetal node has been detected and cardiac activity is present, it is a good sign. Usually the heart rate is between 120-160 beats per minute. The presence of heart beat is a good sign. You can go for a repeat scan after 2 weeks to monitor the growth of the baby.
You need to continue with the injections as prescribed by your doctor for good placental support.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.