Pregnant. Is there any harm if I have ingested some plastic?

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
Ate at a restaurant and when chewing the last piece of my wrap I spit out a piece of melted plastic. Now I am worried if the entire meal was microwaved or put in the oven with plastic that melted into my food. I also may be pregnant so I am extremely worried if this could cause sickness or cancer or any issues with the fetus? Thank you
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concerns. Please be rest assured that no harm will be done if you have ingested some plastic. Microwave destroys harmful organisms and hence there is no chance of an infection.

Regarding your doubt about cancer, one incident does not cause harm. It is over a period that such things do harm. Secondly the plastic used is a food grade one which has been tested against such things.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl