Pregnant. Is it safe to use Aspimed?

Hi Doctor

I aborted one and half year before and I am pregnant now in 1 month. I went to 2 doctors for checking. First doc she prescribed Natalcare for me only. The second doc she prescribed Aspimed 75 mg, Folicum 5 mg, and duphaston 10 mg. I would like to know is it safe to use Aspimed? and which vitamin is better to take during pregnancy the Natalcare, Folicum or any other can be advised? Thank you
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

So basically the first doctor prescribed a prenatal vitamin, and the second doctor prescribed Aspirin, folate and progesterone.

In the setting of just one prior miscarriage, there really is no indication to prescribe anything beyond a prenatal vitamin. While the low dose Aspirin is of little to no harm, it is really not indicated based on what you are telling me. The same can be said of the progesterone (no harm but little to no indication with only one prior miscarriage). The extra folate is definitely of some benefit, but a dose of 5mg is likely more than you need unless there is some significant history of which I am unaware in your case.

So to summarize, it would not be wrong to go with Doctor#1's recommendation of a prenatal vitamin alone. The other doctor is over-treating you if the only history is that of one prior miscarriage.

If there is something more complicated about your history, please let me know!

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Is it safe to use Aspimed? 29 minutes later
Hi again

I have one baby she is now 4 years old. I had a cesarean and had only 1 miscarriage. No any complicated history. For Aspimed 75 mg she prescribed 1 tablet a day for 1 month, for duphaston 1 tablet 2 times a day for 1 month and for Folicum 5mg 1 tables once a day for 1 month. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 hours later
Thank you again for the followup.

You can certainly go ahead with the doctor #2 prescriptions, but like I said, based on your history the only thing you really need to be taking is a prenatal vitamin.

I hope that this helps and good luck!