Pregnant. Is it safe to travel by motorbike?

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
My 19th week is going on, please tell me if i have to sit on a bike (some days not always) what should be the posture?
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 9 hours later
Oh dear, that's a tough one :) I can have you look at this issue along with me but the decision would be yours.
In ideal circumstances we don't recommend motorbike riding throughout pregnancy. The rule of thumb is - anything that can cause bumps or sudden jerks, sudden accelerations or stops where you may be suddenly thrown forwards or backwards should be avoided. It can cause bleeding from separation of the placenta or rupture of the bag of water. Further, in the event of an accident, there is really nothing to protect you and the baby. However, if you have been pillion riding even in early pregnancy, then I presume your partner is a safe, cautious and careful driver. Avoid all potholed roads and what you are out for is, I presume, leisure riding.

I can imagine that sitting astride, although giving you more grip on the body of the motorbike would transmit the jerks right to the centre of your abdomen and the growing baby. Sitting with both legs on one side tends to make you more unstable but the impact from the road is more directed to the spine rather than the pregnant uterus. There is nothing really in scientific literature which can guide us on this. Both postures, even the issue of motorbike riding, has its pros and cons.

Cycle bikes, on the other hand, are considered ok if you have been riding them earlier and do not experience any exhaustion while you ride them, no shortness of breath, no pain chest or legs or abdomen.
I hope this answers your query. Take care.
Dr Nirja Chawla