Pregnant. Is it safe to take loprin-75 mg for mildly higher resistance to uterine blood flow?

Sep 2012

hi i have a mildly higher resistance to uterine blood flow (RI=0.76) during 32nd week of pregnancy. The estimated fetal body weight is also slightly less=1685gms. my doc has asked me to take loprin-75 mg for two weeks. is it safe? Also Protein S in my thrombophilia profile is less.
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 40 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, mildly higher resistance to uterine blood flow, indicates possibility of intrauterine growth retardation. But, it is in very early stage. Taking some precaution may lead to good result.

One more important point is protein S. It is very important factor preventing unwanted thrombotic events. So, its lower value should also be kept in mind.

Loprin contains aspirin. It will prevent unwanted thrombotic events. As protein S is also deficient, aspirin is really needed. So, you can take it. It is safe and is recommended specially for this situation.

Look, in this condition, you have to follow some instructions strictly.

1.     Complete bed rest specially in left lateral position.
2.     You need some extra calorie. So, try to take adequate amount of nutritious diet. It is being told, that you need extra 300 k cal. But, depending upon your weight and other clinical findings, it may not be needed. You should consult with your treating doctor about it.
3.     Continue the aspirin group of drug as you are prescribed.
4.     Keep following up with your treating doctor.
5.     Be cautious. If you experience in abnormal symptom, you should rush to emergency of a hospital or contact your treating doctor immediately.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Is it safe to take loprin-75 mg for mildly higher resistance to uterine blood flow? 8 hours later
Complete bed rest means should I be stopping all movements? Can aspirin be taken during any time of the day?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 5 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, complete bed rest means not to stop all movements. But try to take bed rest as much as you can. Avoid working at home and other jobs.

Aspirin can be taken at any time of the day.

Hope you have your answers.