Pregnant. Is it safe to have artificially induced pain instead of natural pain or water leakage?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
I m pregnant and my due date is 24th oct. till now i dont have any sort of pain or water leakage. My doctor advise me to have artificially induced pain tomm. My query is it safe to have artificial pain or i must till i get natural pain or any other sign. What can i do to prevent surgery .
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 29 minutes later

You didn't mention the reason for which your doctor want to induce the labor.
In case of uneventful pregnancy you can wait till the expected date of delivery.
But if there is any indication for induction like maternal or fetal risk or pelvic factors etc. the doctors will choose induction before expected date.
So if you give the details regarding the indication of induction I can guide you better.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Is it safe to have artificially induced pain instead of natural pain or water leakage? 18 minutes later
First of all thanks for your kind reply.please do check ultrasound reports i have attached are taken on this 12th oct. doctors say baby comes down by 8.5 months. But when she do XXXXXXX check by inserting finger in vagina. It takes long to touch the baby.acc to doc baby has not come down yet And womb mouth is not opened yet. Baby position is normal.i dont have any major leakage or labor pain. Do you think for such reason i should go for induced pains or i have to wait till my due date or more till i get any pain or water breakage. Please suggest with reasons so that i can take right decision.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 22 minutes later

Usually in the primigravida fetus head can get engaged (baby head coming down) by 37 weeks. But in some women it may get engaged between 37 to 40 weeks.
In case of the multigravida head can get engaged even at the time of labor.

So as your are planning for normal delivery:
As your baby size is average, liquor is adequate, all other parameters are normal you can wait till 40 weeks means till expected date of delivery.
Because sometimes early induction can end in cesarean section.

But if the "pelvis is not adequate" and your doctor wants to go for cesarean section it can be done early as if delayed labor pains can occur then that will become an emergency.
So you discuss these things with your doctor or take second opinion and decide accordingly.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Is it safe to have artificially induced pain instead of natural pain or water leakage? 45 minutes later
Hi, thanks again.....what do u mean by pelvis is not adequate. Please tell me in detail so that i can take correct decision.as my doc. Told evrything is normal except baby has not come down yet and womb is not opened yet. So please tell me is there any role of pelvis in this....please explain me "pelvis is not adequate" in simple language and what are symptoms for such situation.my doc is asking me to get admit tomm for induced pain. in such situation i have told you about myself and if i m not having pelvis problem i can wait for induced pain if required till my due date. Please do tell me any other information related to my queries or refer any link so i can take my decision as this is my last question. I hope file i attached has shown data clearly.I m very thankful to you for your kind reply

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 47 minutes later

Pelvis not adequate means the baby cannot pass through that pelvis, that may be because of large size of the head or small pelvic inlet.
In this case usually elective cesarean section is advised.
First of all what I want to tell is you don't get tensed and confused.
Protocol of induction of labor can differ from hospital to hospital and person to person.
What I told is generally followed procedure.
Your doctor may want to induce early as you completed 38 weeks and she may want to avoid any problems like landing up in an emergency etc. that she is expecting to occur by waiting till expected date.
So as clinical examination is superior and it is only 9 days remaining for EDD, you can follow her advice. But when decided to follow don't think about anything else, be peaceful.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.