Ask a Dentist   »  

Pregnant. Infection on molar. Blood and pus coming out. Is there any harm to baby?

I am 35 weeks Preg and have an infection Around molar 31 when I press at base of tooth is bleeds and a tiny but of pus comes out dentist says to leave alone (sees nothing on X-ray ) till I have baby at 39 week csection this harm my baby?
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

At 35 weeks pregnancy, mild dental problem such as yours will not harm your baby.

During pregnancy any medication need to be started after weighing benefits and risks. In the absence of fever and with normal dental X-rays, I agree with your dentist that we can leave this problem until delivery.

You may take paracetamol (plain tylenol) for pain - if you have severe pain and perform warm saline gargles; as they do not harm pregnancy. We can plan the dental treatment following delivery of your baby. However report back to your dentist in case you develop a high grade fever / swollen gums. A course of antibiotic can be started then after discussing with a gynecologist.

As of now, there is no cause for worry as far as the dental problem and its effects on pregnancy are concerned.

Hope this answers your query. I will be happy to help you further in case you have any other queries.

Wish you a safe pregnancy

Take Care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Follow-up: Pregnant. Infection on molar. Blood and pus coming out. Is there any harm to baby? 6 hours later
The issue is only by molar 31 I had a root canal on that tooth - so when I press on neck of tooth blood and a drop of yellow pus comes out - the tooth was X-rayed and I saw 2 dentists and 2 endodontists they all. - they did not think it was anything just a mild gum infection- the only possibility is that there is crack or fracture that cannot be seen on the X-ray - so they don't want to pull tooth needlessly because iv already had a difficult root canal so retreating not an option - so will explore further after baby - but reading online is so scarey says tooth infection can harm baby
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 17 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

As you do not have fever or swollen gums, the tiny amount of blood and yellow pus doesn't look serious to me - as told to you it could be a mild infection. At this point, I would also like to bring this to your notice that during pregnancy gum inflammation can be more than the normal because of hormonal changes. So there is no cause of worry.

You may take paracetamol for pain for pain and perform warm saline gargles as suggested in the previous discussion. The dental treatment can be planned following the delivery.

Report back to your doctor if the problem worsens.

Do not worry. I do not think you have a serious problem which could affect your baby. Nevertheless I appreciate your efforts to seek professional help on this forum.

Hope I have convinced you with my answer. If you have any other concerns, I will be happy to help you.

Wish you a safe pregnancy.

Dr.Gunjan Gupta