Pregnant. In first pregnancy developed preeclamsia along with water in lungs causing chest pain. Chances of reoccurring?

May 2014

I am 33 weeks pregnant this is my second pregnancy, In the first one I was pregnant with twins and developed preeclamsia along with that I had water in my lungs which caused chest pain a lot of swelling and hemorrage after delivering my girls at 33 weeks. What are the chances of me having preeclamsia again? I'm worried because I been having chest pain again not a lot of swelling yet and also my hips hurt a lot I cannot lay on either side because they hurt and also I been feeling pain/discomfort in my pelvis is this normal or should I be concerned?
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chances around 20% but may vary.

Detailed Answer:

Having chest pain and even little swelling requires that you should consult your doctor immediately. While some amount of pelvic discomfort may be expected during the later stages of pregnancy, the chest pain needs to be investigated. You need some close observation and keep your doctor informed of your condition.

If you had preeclampsia in a previous pregnancy, you are at an increased risk of developing it in future pregnancies. Your degree of risk depends on both the severity and the time when the disorder developed in your first pregnancy. In general, the earlier in the pregnancy you developed preeclampsia and the more severe the disorder, the more likely you are to have it again.

There has been some research looking at the rate of reoccurrence in subsequent pregnancies, but more is needed. The findings suggest the risk of having it again is approximately 20%, however experts cite a range from 5-80%, depending on when you had it in a prior pregnancy, and how severe it was. If you had preeclampsia during your first pregnancy, you may get it again. While repeat occurrence is often milder, no one can predict for sure. You should be watched carefully after a preeclamptic pregnancy.

The risk of preeclampsia increases if you have any of the risk factors like previous preeclampsia, or have developed chronic hypertension or diabetes since your previous pregnancy, or if you are having IVF, twins or other multiples.

If you do develop preeclampsia, you and your baby will be monitored regularly. Treatment, which centers on delaying the onset of severe disease and prolonging delivery until fetal maturity, may include daily self-measurement of blood pressure and restricted activity. If there is any change in your condition, you may be hospitalized promptly.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.