Pregnant. History of upper respiratory infection. Had fever and ear pain. Safe to take antibiotic?

I am 23 weeks and 1 day preganant and was recently hospitalized due to flu complications. i had a terrible fever which was causing me to have contraction. I was having ear pain while in the hospital but no one checked my ears. When I went to my follow up appt with my CNM, she said I had fluid behind my left eardrum and to take antihistamine and it would help. My hearing in that er is very slight and I am quite a few moments of dizziness. I have never had any complications during pregnancies, this is my 7th. The benedryl just makes me sleepy. Both of my ears pop terrible now when I yawn. And I have moments of dizziness even when Im not moving. I have a history of upper respiratory infections and ear infections. I have antibiotics on hand from my last Dr. for this but I havent taken them because I dont know if they are safe while preganant. I have Cipro 500mg and Bactrim DS.
Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
It sound as if you have an ear infection. But you need an otoscopy to confirm.
This may cause pain,fever,hearing difficulties,dizziness,even balance problems.You should definitely start antibiotics for this.But you shouldnt take ciprosulfa drugs during pregnancy.
You should be examined by your doctor and appropriate antibiotics can be given.
You can take amoxicillin/cefixime etc.