Pregnant. History of miscarriage. Given progesterone supplement. Will it affect the baby?

I had a miscarriage previously and I am now 5 weeks pregnant. I have been advised to have Hald tablet for progesterone supplement which is 200mg. They advised this saying this will take care of any placental insufficiency if such a problem exists. They have advised me to insert it vaginally. Is this really required? will this cause any side effect to me or my baby? is there a way to know if my body has ample amount of progesterone naturally?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 1 hour later

Natural micronised Progesterone is often prescribed by doctors to support pregnancy. This is not evidence based but at the same time has no side- effect to baby and to mother especially if inserted vaginally.

If you want, you can give your blood sample for progesterone estimation. If it is in pregnancy range, you may not need Progesterone supplement.

Hypothyroidism is a risk factor for abortion, so make sure your thyroid (TSH) hormone is in normal range with respect to pregnancy. Also take Folic acid tablet daily.

I hope, I have answered your query efficiently. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Pregnant. History of miscarriage. Given progesterone supplement. Will it affect the baby? 13 hours later
Thank you for the answer. They have advised me to take two tablets of Hald per day. Is this dose safe? I am also having folic acid tablet and ecospirin daily. How often do I need to check my thyroid? Is it better to consult my endocrinologist or go ahead with the dose prescribed by my gynaecologist?
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 7 hours later

Generally two tablets per day are safe. Your gynecologist would be able to prescribe you the exact dose depending on your requirement.

Thyroid hormone in pregnancy is routinely checked every 4-6 weekly.

There is no harm in consulting endocrinologist as well along with Gynecologist. I think together they will be able to manage both your pregnancy and hypothyroidism.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.

Best wishes