Pregnant. Hep C test done. Got a false positive test during last pregnancy. What are the chances of having it again?

Jan 2013

My wife is pregnant. She had the Hep C test, and it came back active. This is the second time this has happened. During her last pregnancy this happened and eventually we were told that it was a false-positive.

My question is, if someone has had a false-positive in the past, is it likely that she could have it again?
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 40 minutes later
Thanks XXXXXX,
Yes. there are few condition in which Hep C antibody test may come positive.
False positive anti-HCV tests happen more often in persons such as blood donors who are at low risk for hepatitis C.
Persons with early HCV infection might not yet have developed antibody levels high enough that the test can measure.
You should go for liver function test and HCV RNA, PCR and genotype of HCV.
If all these test suggest presence of virus in your body then there is no question regarding false positive HCV test.
Put your query if you hava.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank
Follow-up: Pregnant. Hep C test done. Got a false positive test during last pregnancy. What are the chances of having it again? 12 hours later
Still not really understanding your answer.

I asked, if some people just read as false-postive for Hep C test?

She is not a blood donor.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 46 minutes later
Hi, is possible that if a patient had false positive test for Hep C in past, then it may come again false positive presently.
As there is no test available which can make difference between true positive and false positive Hep C test.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava