Pregnant. Heart rate of baby is normal. What could be done to change the baby's position?

Mar 2016

My wife is pregnant in the 5th month,
The baby heart rate and everything is normal but never wants to change his position, doctors never had the chance to know the gender.. What can she do so can the baby change his position
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 31 hours later
Brief Answer:
Baby Changes Its Position On Its Own Or By External Factors.

Detailed Answer:

First thing you should know that some women don't feel movement or change in position until the fifth month of pregnancy or thereafter (around 18-24 weeks). This is most commonly seen in the first pregnancy (primi gravida) or obese women. Less amount of amniotic fluid may impair movement of the baby.

Secondly, you do not need to worry about fetal well being as baby's heart rate and other parameters are normal. Baby changes position or moves on its own way. However, external stimulus or mother activity can alter baby's position. Knowing sex of the growing baby is an offense in some country. So, be careful about that.

Baby moves 10 times or more in less than 2 hrs and it varies according to day or evening time. It is called DFMC - Daily Fetal Movement Count in medical term. It is an indicator of healthy baby.

She can do the following things to change baby's position:

1) Take healthy protein XXXXXXX diet or supplements. Drink more fluid/ water (3 liter daily). It will help to increase amniotic fluid volume and overall fetal growth.

2) Take adequate bed rest in left lateral position. It is a comfortable position of mother and baby movement can be felt easily.

3) Listening music, household activity, walking, mother's eating, active sleeping etc are important stimulus for changing position of the baby.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Let me know if you need any clarification.

Do periodic check up with ultrasound scan to your obstetrician. Don't be worried.

Wish her good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Pregnant. Heart rate of baby is normal. What could be done to change the baby's position? 2 hours later
Is it true eating sugar XXXXXXX foods makes the baby move during the ultrasound? Will that help?

Also, my wife feels dizzy after standing for few minutes, is it normal?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mother's Eating May Effect Baby's Movement.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your queries. Followings are my comments:

1) Mother's eating acts as an external stimulus and baby responds with that. So, taking sugar XXXXXXX foods or any other stuffs may be helpful during ultrasound.

2) Mild dizziness is common in pregnancy. However, we need to rule out low blood sugar, low BP, anemia, disorder of inner ear, visual distortion etc to pinpoint the diagnosis. Kindly, consult with her obstetrician for complete evaluation with relevant investigations.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have other query, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. All the best.

Dr Soumen