Pregnant. Having weakness, headache, feeling contraction and nausea. What could this be?

Mar 2016

I am 34 weeks pregnant. Since the last 1 week I am feeling extreme weakness and that was mainly during evening and night time, but since yesterday I am feeling the same weakness throughout the day. This is accompanied by little headache. Also, I am feeling a sharp contraction / vertical pressure from belly button to the clitoris, which stays from few seconds to maximum 1 minute. I am not able to stand even for 5 minutes continuously, doing so increases this contraction / vertical pressure. I am not feeling hungry also since the last 1 week and the feeling of nausea has come back in this period.

Please advice.
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

First of all, you need to check blood sugar level (fasting & postprandial) whether it is high or too much low. Gestational diabetes also needs to be ruled out by additional blood HbA1c level & OGTT test. You also check your blood pressure. In case of any abnormality, you need to address your obstetrician for next line management.

Second thing, feeling sharp contraction or vertical pressure around abdomen to clitoris region is known as false labor pain or XXXXXXX XXXXXXX contraction which is more common at this stage of pregnancy. Do the following things:

1) Walking for few minutes is very effective. False labor contractions often stop when you change position or get up and walk.
2) Get some sleep or rest in left lateral position. Also listen to music for relaxing.
3) Drink water, juice or herbal tea. Avoid bitter or bad smell foods. Eat a snack or small meal in 6 divided schedule instead of 3 major meals. Take dry food stuff when you feel nauseous.
4) Light massage is quite helpful around belly button, back and shoulders. You can do it yourself or by your partner.
5) Go to some favorite place in your home and slowly relax each part of your body. You can watch a movie.
6) In case of strong contraction, take a warm shower or tub bath, change your posture during sitting/ sleeping.
7) In addition, take slow, deep, easy breaths in which gives more comfort. When you exhale, let your muscles go loose. Alternative hot or cold compression is also advisable around back region.
8) Continue prescribed medication like iron/ calcium/ vitamin supplements etc to combat general weakness & body requirement. You can drink water with adding salt & sugar to overcome electrolyte imbalance.

Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish her good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Pregnant. Having weakness, headache, feeling contraction and nausea. What could this be? 19 hours later
THANKS A LOT Dr. Patra once again for the prompt response. The information provided by you are very helpful and particularly the steps that you have provided to ease the problems I am facing are extremely helpful.

Thank you very much for the timely guidance and very useful suggestions.

Answered by Dr. S Patra 41 minutes later

Thanks for your response.

You are most welcome in our XXXXXXX platform. You can directly ask any query by above mentioned link whatever you want to get opinion from me.

Best wishes to you. Be well & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen