Pregnant. Having vitamin D level low. Prescribed Shelcal. Will this affect pregnancy? should I continue medication?

I am 31 years old, Married for one and half year. Now i am 6th week pregnant, but my vitamin D level is low its - vitamin D,25 hydroxy is 8. my doctor prescribed me Vitamin D3 capsules 0000IU weekly once and shelcal 500mg every day for next few month. i am worried that, vitamin D deficiency really affect my pregnancy (baby growth) if so, should i continue this preganancy or not. since it was not planned, i have not taken any mutivitamin tablet before. From last week m taking B complex those two vitamin tablet and folic Acid capsules. and weekly once Proluton depot 500,g injection. Now my query is Vitamin D deficiency really cause a problem to child health? should i continue or abort it? and why should i take Proluton depot 500,g - i heard that it is to avoid miscarriage then why should i take that..
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 1 hour later

Vitamin D deficiency is very common. It is required for calcium absorption.

The baby needs calcium after 12weeks of pregnancy for bone formation and development. As per the current scientific recommendation there is no reason to terminate the pregnancy. It's OK to take D tablets as advised. A lot of women conceive without taking preconception vitamins and deliver healthy babies. Again no indication for termination.

Proluton Depot is given to women at risk of miscarriage and not given routinely. Please discuss with your treating doctor if it can be stopped.

Do regular investigations and ultrasound and problems if any will get picked. As of now nothing that is concerning.

Let me know if you need further guidance.