Pregnant. Having on and off lump in throat and vomited bright red blood. Looking for solution

For the past 18 months I have had a lump in my throat on and off I am now 34 weeks pregnant and have suffered with it the whole way through the pregnancy, I was very sick in the beginning and am still being sick occasionally now, 2 weeks ago I vomited bright red blood, I went to my gp who said I may have torn something in my throat, I asked if once the baby was born could I possibly be sent to have s camera put down my throat which he refused due to me being under 45 however I need to know what is causing this and find a solution. Many thanks
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Juhi 2 hours later

Excessive vomiting during pregnancy sometimes causes tears in the food pipe, which can lead to bloody vomiting, But there are other reasons for this too.

Please tell me that how many times do you have vomiting on a typical day, and what are the contents of the vomit and how much blood in the each vomitus? Do you sometimes feel a burning sensation in upper abdomen or chest.?

You need to consult a specialist endoscopist to decide the origin of this bleed. If your condition permits, it can be postponed till after delivery. I also could understand that you need a proper referral from your GP to consult a specialist.

I could not understand the term 45? Do you mean you are underweight or age? Being underweight is not a standard criteria to stop someone from endoscopy. I think even at this stage a consult by Gastroenterologist specialist would open further perspectives and address the cause and right treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Get well soon
Dr Juhi.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Having on and off lump in throat and vomited bright red blood. Looking for solution 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply, I meant 45 years of age, my gp advised unless I was over 45 years of age and the cause could possibly be cancer they would not send me for an endoscopy, I only vomit occasionally I was sick yesterday and today which was the 1st time in 2 weeks and its usually the morning after breakfast, the time I vomited blood was after dinner I then had an intense burning and then felt the need to be sick which was when the blood came up it was like a long stream of bright red blood twice. I do get burning also and the feeling of a lump. Ulcers in my family
Answered by Dr. Juhi 1 hour later

In my opinion 45 years age is no reason to avoid endoscopy, because endoscopy is done to diagnose tears, ulcers as well as malignancy. Tears and ulcers can occur at any age.

The frequency of vomiting is not too much in your case, so a tear is an unlikely to be caused by vomiting. In my opinion you may have an ulcer which is leading to blood in vomiting. Also the history of ulcers in your family supports this.

As I said before you may consult a specialist endoscopist to reach a diagnosis. Meanwhile avoid spicy and oily food. Instead of few large meals, have frequent small meals. Avoid lying down immediately after eating, instead wait for atleast 1 hour after eating.

Generally in pregnancy heartburn is a common problem. Constant heartburn can lead to ulcer. Consult your doctor to prescribe an antacid.

I hope I have answered your queries; in case of any more questions, I'll be glad to help you.

Dr. Juhi