Pregnant. Having low back pain. Normal?

Hello Doc,

My wife is 13 weeks pregnant. she has lower back pain. is this pain normal in pregnancy?

Are fetal Doppler are completely safe for heath? can you please suggest some good brands in USA?
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Back pain in pregnancy is common because of increase of hormones, additional weight, poor posture like excessive standing and bending over and little rest and more stress during this period.

Moreover there is separation (diastasis) of the muscles along the front of the abdomen (the rectus abdominis muscles). As the uterus expands - these muscles sometimes separate along the center seam, - back pain can then become worse.

Treatment for back pain includes having the correct posture while sitting and standing, use low heels, keeping a pillow behind the lower back while sitting, sleeping on one side with knees and hips bent and keeping a pillow under the lower back, hot or cold compresses and massage from a massage therapist. These measures play a major role in controlling back pain during pregnancy.

If the symptoms persist despite the aforementioned measures, then your wife may use anti inflammatory medicines suggested by her gynecologist.
Fetal doppler is completely safe and an important diagnostic tool during pregnancy. You can buy Sonoline B pocket fetal doppler or Sonotrax B.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.