Pregnant. Having heavy nasal bleeding and dysentery. Cause?

my friend had a heavy nasal bleeding and dysentery for the last two days. she is 7 months preg. wat may be the reason. she already had an endoscopy done.but doctors recommended for another endoscopy tomorrow.
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

So your friend is a 30 year old in the second half of her pregnancy with nose bleeds and loose stools. She has had an endoscopy that I will assume was unrevealing. And now they are planning on doing another endoscopy.

I have a few questions:
1. Is she having diarrhea, or vomiting, or both?
2. Has her blood pressure been normal?
3. Has she had labwork, specifically a CBC, performed?

Thank you.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Having heavy nasal bleeding and dysentery. Cause? 20 hours later
Endoscopy result and blood pressure remains normal.doctors say there are chances to have a nasal bleed again.will it affect the baby.doctors says cluster of veins had broken inside the nose.wat may be the reason?will it affect the baby?she hadnt any labwork.but she is taking tablet for thyroid.she has only diarrhea no vomiting

Thank you
Thank you for the followup. I believe that she has two things going on that are likely unrelated:

1. Changes in her bowel function either related to an acute infection, pregnancy related changes, or overtreatment of her thyroid disease. They should also have done cultures of the stool at some point. Do not let them do another endoscopy during this pregnancy.

2. Nose bleeds. These are actually more common during pregnancy as the mucous membranes (such as in the nasal passageways) are more engorged in blood making them prone to bleeding. In addition to this, she has some veins in the nose that are even more prone to bleeding. This might be a continued problem, and she should consider things like a humidifier in her bedroom.

I hope that this helps and good luck!
Follow-up: Pregnant. Having heavy nasal bleeding and dysentery. Cause? 8 hours later

will it adversly affect the baby ?????

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 10 minutes later
The nosebleeds themselves are explained by the pregnancy itself (they are more common) and the fact that there are abnormal vessels in her nose. This problem should not affect the baby. Or in other words, if there was eventually a problem with the baby, it is incredibly unlikely that it was caused by the problem with her nosebleeds.

Does this answer your question?