Pregnant. Having flesh coloured skin tag on the left of posterior fourchette. Advise?

Mar 2016

I am 36 weeks pregnant. I noticed that I have a flesh colored skin tag on the left of my posterior fourchette. Small and fleshy. I looked at my vulva/vagina with a mirror and noticed that when the skin is pulled, the very baseline of the fourchette and perineum look whitish and there is a whitish spot under skin tag. Vulva and vagina look normal. I was hpv negative with normal pap last year. Never an abnormal pap. Could this be lichen sclerosus? Is it that color due to pulling tension? No itching or any symptoms. I just never really noticed this before and doctor has never mentioned it. Please advise.
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 10 days later

According to your clinical picture, this is not a Lichen Sclerosus as your vulva and vagina look normal along with negative HPV & normal Pap test. It is more common after menopause & associated with autoimmune disease, genetic predisposition, infections etc. Pulling of the skin tag may result in whitish spot.

Small flesh colored skin tags are usually seen in elderly women with expectant mother. These are caused by hyperactive growth of a superficial layer of skin by hormonal changes in pregnancy. They are completely benign and mostly painless.

In this stage, you have nothing to worry. Also, you can't prevent this during pregnancy period. After giving birth of your baby, you need to contact with dermatologist to remove skin tags. Some treatment option like liquid nitrogen, cauterization, topical cream may be applied.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Pregnant. Having flesh coloured skin tag on the left of posterior fourchette. Advise? 14 minutes later
Thank you. new question. I am now 37 weeks 1 day pregnant. For the last week or so I have felt a burning sensation off and on on the front of my abdomen mostly to right side of navel and above. Unfortunately, it had subsided today at my doctor appointment so I neglected to ask him about it. The burning sensation is back. It is now concentrated to the right of my belly button and definitely feels like it is coming from inside. What could this be?

This is on area where I had bruise pain after tiny fender bender at 28weeks. Follow up after small accident was fine.

Nurse on Monday said stretching skin but it feels XXXXXXX Baby very active.

Excellent nst today and afi 11. Placental abruption is my main concern.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for your additional query.

Above clinical features may be associated with indigestion problem or improper diet habit in association with acidity. You need to take easy digestible food stuffs XXXXXXX in fibers (like green vegetables, fruits) and protein. Diet pattern would be 6-8 small meals instead of 3 major meals. You do not stay in empty stomach for long time and drink more water/ fluid (2.5-3 lit/ day). You can take some safe antacid after consultation with your doctor.

It is not suggestive of placental abruption which is associated with vaginal bleeding, abdominal pain, fetal distress, rapid uterine contraction etc. Your NST (Non Stress Test) report is excellent and AFI (Amniotic Fluid Index) is normal (11). Baby is also very active. All these are good indicators of a healthy pregnancy.

Here, I suggest you to undergo one obstetric ultrasound scan to check overall progression of pregnancy and consult with your obstetrician.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. All the best.

Dr Soumen