Pregnant. Having cold, sore head, feeling sleepy and diarrhoea. Will it have any side effect on baby?

I'm 20 weeks pregnant but recently caught a cold or so I thought - a week later my ears are blocked on and off throughout the day, I feel very tired falling asleep in afternoon or early evening, and my head is sore in the middle of my head above my eyes and my stomach is upset, no diarrohea but bad flatulence and dull ache which can flair to cramps. Had a flu jab but have been with other folk who have the flu - what can I take to help and will my baby be alright?
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
It looks as if you are having a bout of flu ( which you probably caught from someone). For the headache and the constant fatigue, you can take Tablet Tylenol 1 tablet as and when required ( upto 4 tablets daily). Also, keeping yourself warm; using a humidifier; doing salt water gargles; drinking plenty of fluids should also help. The cold and the blocked ears should become ok if you do steam inhalation twice daily. However, if you find your symptoms getting worse, please see your physician immediately as you may need antibiotics.
As far as the effect of the flu on your child is concerned, I think you dont have a very severe form of the flu and your child should be fine. The flu shot as it is would protect you and your child from any severe complications.
I hope that answers your questions. Let me know if I can address any more concerns.