Pregnant. Having cocaine. What damage will it cause to the baby?

I have just found out I am 4 weeks pregnant and have had cocain in the last few days, this is not
somthing I would normally do it was just a one off and was only a few lines but I am now really scared as to what damage I my have cause my baby. can you tell me if you think I have cause bad damage
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 28 minutes later

Hello, I would be happy to help you today with your question.

Given your limited exposure, and I will assume no exposure to any other subtances, you probably don't have much to worry about. In terms of damage during early development, the effects are not well reported but there may be a slight increase in abnormalities involving the genital and urinary tracts - these results have not been shown in every study.

In terms of ongoing use DURING the pregnancy, the following things have been observed.

Preterm birth
Low birthweight
Abruption or separation of the placenta from the uterine wall
Preterm delivery

This is my generic answer. Your situation is somewhat better given that it was a one time exposure and no ongoing use is reported.

What I would recommend is as follows:

1. Report this to your OB - you cannot be prosecuted or suffer consequences unless the baby tested positive at birth (in the US)
2. You need a targeted scan at 20 weeks to look at the baby's anatomy closely
3. Do not use any drugs or alcohol from this point forward

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, please ask. Please leave feedback!!