Pregnant. Having brown discharge. Scan showed small portion of blood below baby. Should I be worried?

I am about 6 wks pregnant and am having some minimal brownish discharge . Sonogram today showed a small portion of blood "below" the baby . Not really sure what this means however I did feel that the Dr I seen today which is not my regular Dr somewhat over reacted and scared the heck out of me . Should I be worried ? Right off the bat she started saying no sex, no exercise, no heavy lifting and has recommended taking time off work if I'm still spotting in a day or so . I really feel fine I just wet in because I noticed the spotting.The only other thing I've noticed is white stringy mucus/tissue in my urine . I don't notice when I clean myself I've just seen it in my urine. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rest and monitoring are necessary.

Detailed Answer:

Indeed, you have a threatened abortion, but, there is no reason to panic. You should take absolute bed rest until all the symptoms subside, avoid any form of stress including intercourse. Avoid lifting weights and travel as it puts undue stress on the uterus. These are all precautions to see that the hemorrhage in the uterus does not increase; if it does, it can harm the pregnancy.

You would need monitoring; repeat the sonogram after a few days to see the fate of the bleed and the fetal well being. Simultaneous monitoring of serum beta-hCG levels can provide better vision if needed. You may also have progesterone supplements if your doctor feels so; they are not necessary or useful in every case. Just relax,eat well and take rest; let the doctors do the job.

Hope your query is clarified. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.