Pregnant. Having blood in stools and burning sensation while passing it. Having multivitamin and folic acid. Suggest?

iam in 26th week of pregnancy. From past 2 days iam having blood in my stools and a burning sensation while passing it.
Please help me know what is causing it. Iam having multi vitamin , calcium, folic acid and other supplements as part of pregnancy.
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 1 hour later
Hi Sufia,

There are many things that may cause bleeding per rectum or blood associated with stools.
You didn't describe the color and amount of bleeding, I will answer according to mild bleeding (not affecting your general condition and no blood clots), bright red (fresh) in color.
What you describe suggests bleeding piles or a fissure, or both, which are easy to treat so don't worry.
It is very important to visit a general surgeon to examine you and exclude other serious conditions.
He may need to examine you by introducing his finger in the stool opening. This is safe regarding your pregnancy.
I am interested to know the result of your examination and to revise with you the treatment and instructions.
I hope I have answered your query and wish you a successful pregnancy ending in a healthy beautiful baby.
Good luck.
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.