Pregnant. Having bleeding and mild abdominal pain. Ultrasound came normal, taking rest. Cause for bleeding?

I am pregnant, its been 17 weeks. Suddenly from yesterday morning, I observed bleeding and I had mild lower abdominal pain. Though it was not heavy but there were small blood clots. Immediately within an hour I have consulted my doctor. She asked me to get admitted and put me under observation. I was under bed rest till evening. She asked me to get the scan done to check if there is any opening in cervix. Fortunately, in the ultrasound scan everything was normal, they have done vaginal scan as well but there is no opening in cervix and the technician was not sure from where I was bleeding. But my doctor has told it is due to strain and I was bleeding from uterus. She has advised me to take bed rest for a week and come and visit if it gets serious. But I am not sure if everything was fine in scan how come I was bleeding from uterus. My bleeding has not yet stopped its been 1 1/2 day. I am taking bed rest but am still concerned about the cause for my bleeding and wanted to take proper treatment. Please advise me.
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

This is definitely a common concern during pregnancy. It is reassuring that this is not related to changes in your cervix. The cause of the bleeding is not really from the uterus, but rather from the space between the placenta and the uterine wall. This is the most likely source of the bleeding and it is called a 'placental abruption'. This is also very common if the placenta is close to the cervix (called a 'low-lying placenta'). It is important to consider the following:
1. They need to perform a vaginal ultrasound to make sure that the placenta is not over the cervix
2. If your blood type is 'RH-negative' then you need a shot of something called Rhogam
3. You must not have intercourse or place anything in the vagina
4. They should visually examine your cervix to make sure that it is not the source of the bleeding (this is also very common)

I hope that this helps - please let me know if you have more questions!