Pregnant. Having barky cough, feeling raw tongue with discoloration. Should I see the doctor?

I am around 21 weeks pregnant and I have had a barky cough for about two weeks. Today i noticed my tongue felt raw (I thought I had burned it) but I looked at it tonight and it is discolored (red and white) toward the front with bumps toward the back looking like they go down my throat. I go to the doctor Tuesday anyways but wondered if I should go in sooner?
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Glossitis Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query It looks like you have developed an infection of the tongue, known as Glossitis which could be secondary to the respiratory infection you have had for two weeks causing the cough. Here are my suggestions to you 1. Please approach a doctor, you will need to be examined and put on antibiotics. Some antibiotics are contraindicated in pregnancy, a third generation cephalosporin is ideal for you 2. Gargle your mouth and throat with betadine gargles. It will give symptomatic relief plus it is bactericidal 3. Avoid eating cold food and beverages 4. Most often Glossitis is because of vitamin deficiencies. Please start on a vitamin b complex capsule once a day I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me regards