Pregnant. Having acne and applying retinoA and clindamycin regularly. Having scars. Suggest the treatment?

hi doctor,
this is XXXXXXX i m 29 yrs old, i have developing lot of acne from past 2 weeks, i have been applying retinoA and clindamycin regularly...
i m not taking any oral medicinies as i was trying for a kid and i m 6 weeks pregency now
wat is the best solution to avoid acne during pregency and wat can i do to stop it. it is actually leaving scars all over
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kruti 22 hours later

I can understand your concern.

However, I would not recommend that you apply Retino A in pregnancy as it can affect the baby.

Erythromycin tablets or gel is relatively safer, however atleast in the first trimester that is the first three months, lesser the medications used its better.

Acne occurs in many individuals during pregnancy, there is no way to stop the acne as they are hormone induced and would subside on their own either later on in the pregnancy or after delivery.

Frankly, I would advise you to not apply anything till six more weeks of pregnancy, after that if the acne still persist you can apply erythromycin gel.

Right now you can use a regular facewash thrice daily.

Keeping the skin clean would also prevent acne to some extent.

Hope I have been able to answer your queries.
Please let me know if you have any more queries.