Pregnant. Having abdominal cramps, constipation and watery discharge. How to use susten 300?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
i am three weeks pregnant, i have been having mild abdominal cramps and sustained, dull ache in lower abdomen with severe constipation. no spotting or bleeding though. i am also having watery discharge, sometimes clear, sometimes creamy white.no foul smell. i have been prescribed susten 300 to be taken vaginally. i am not sure of the procedure. how to do this? is it safe?
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 57 minutes later
hi,

in early pregnancy due to the process of implantation and other adjustments in uterus etc mild cramps are normal, they will subside soon,

but as they are sustained and associated with watery discharge better to consult your doctor once to rule out the chances of miscarriage,

constipation is common finding in pregnancy due to hormonal effect, you have to take plenty of water, fruits, if needed laxatives to reduce the problem as excessive strain during passing stools can lead to pain abdomen and miscarriage,

susten tablets contain progesterone which help in continuation of pregnancy, you can insert them with finger or with insertor given along with tablets,
if you are feeling trouble with this you can ask your doctor to prescribe oral tablets instead of vaginal.

so now you consult your doctor once and get physical examination along with speculum examination to rule out chances of miscarriage

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Having abdominal cramps, constipation and watery discharge. How to use susten 300? 19 minutes later
thank you for your reply. Along with Susten 300, I am also taking Duphastone. is it safe to take these two together? What is speculum examination? Also, what can be the cause of this light discharge?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 51 minutes later
HI,

susten and duphastone both are different forms of progesterone tablets,
you can use them,
sometimes they can increase pregnancy symptoms like nausea, vomitings etc which can be relieved by anti-emetics,
during pregnancy physiologically white discharge increases that may be one reason for your watery discharge,
but in case of miscarriage also we can see watery discharge from gestational sac,
so by undergoing speculum examination means by keeping cuscos or XXXXXXX speculum in vagina the type of discharge and the origin of discharge can be seen,
doing this examination depends on doctor's decision and your willingness.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Having abdominal cramps, constipation and watery discharge. How to use susten 300? 5 hours later
Thank you very much for your replies. You have been most helpful. One last question: Can the discharge increase after taking Susten vaginally? and please advise what else can I do to prevent miscarriage.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 hours later
hi,

yes, susten which is progesterone can increase vaginal discharge in 10% of women, but this not pathological, so no need to worry.

you can follow measures like,
-take nutritious and healthy diet,
-include fruits, vegetables in your diet,
-take folic acid and multi vitamins and mineral tablets every day,
-maintain hemoglobin, blood pressure and blood sugar all in within normal limits,
-take regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations as adviced by your doctor,
-in case you noticed any constant pain abdomen, leaking or bleeding per vaginum consult your doctor immediately.