Pregnant. Have type 2 diabetes with a kidney infection. Do I need insulin?

Aug 2012

Hi Im 32 weeks pregnant and have controlled type 2 diabetes with a kidney infection my blood sugar was 166 after dinner do i need insulin?
Posted Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 1 hour later
Hi there.

Thank you for the query.

Yes, you need insulin when your post meal sugar is going beyond 130 mg/dl. At 32 weeks you still have a long way to go for your baby's development in the womb. So please follow your healthcare professional's advice and start insulin right away.
You would be given insulin shots before each meal and if your fasting sugar reading is going beyond 105 mg/dl then one more evening shot of basal insulin will be given.
I hope your kidney infection has been taken care by now. Please monitor sugars frequently during this illness and in fact, till you deliver the baby.
Please get back for any related query. Take care and wish you all the best.