Pregnant. Have small purple painless bump on the mucosa of the vagina. Any ideas?

I am 8 months pregnant and have a very small purple painless bump on the mucosa of the vagina. Any ideas?
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

From what you are describing, I have low concerns that this is anything significant. The main concern with most patients would be herpes, but this usually presents as a painful blister that eventually bursts and crusts over.

This likely represents a small burst blood vessel under the skin. Sort of like a "blood blister". There is increased pressure and blood flow in the vagina during pregnancy, particularly at 8 months. You should not be too concerned but certainly point it out to your OB/GYN at your next visit.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have any followup questions. Good luck!