Pregnant. Have slightly low lymphocyte, but normal absolute lymphocyte. Should I be concerned?

May 2013
hello, Im 14 weeks pregnant and have a slightly low lympocytes on my differential, but normal absolute lymphocyte. should I be concerned? the rest of my CBC was within normal range. my cbc/diff was all normal with my blood work in early pregnancy. what can cause this to happen. Is it common so the body doesnt reject the pregnancy? or blood volumes increasing so it looks low? I work in health care, and It makes me question myself if i have gotten stuck with a needle and not realized it.. (I know its not likely but still..) I really dont think ive been exposed to HIV or anything like that, my tests for all that were negative earlier in pregnancy. What can be the cause with the lymphocytes? Thanks in advanced.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
As your absolute lymphocyte count is normal, no need to worry about the slight low lymphocytes.
This may be transient and may not be related to immunosuppression to prevent rejection of the baby.
Low lymphocyte count can be seen in many conditions like viral, fungal infections, steroid therapy etc.
As you are not having any symptoms like fatigue, weight loss, flu-like symptoms etc. after the needle prick no need to worry.
If you want you can go for western blot to detect antibodies for HIV and CD4 count once, to make sure that you are not having infection.
Don't worry this possibility is very very less.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.